Vegan "Chicken" and Biscuits
This is my favorite dish to make when I'm home sick. Living in London, from a small town in Upstate, New York, I can't find many of my childhood favorites in the U.K. My Mom use to make this dish growing up and there are times I'm nostalgic for this classic bland and beige American dish.
A few years back I dated a handsome, hippie vegan in Upstate, New York and learned a lot of different ways to substitute my favorite meaty American meals to a flavorful vegetarian or vegan option.
This is a dish you can change to your own preferences. You can use whatever veggies you have in your fridge at the time. You can substitute the meat-free options, season the dish to your liking. The biscuit recipe is a simple southern style biscuit.
I hope you enjoy! If you make the dish don't forget to send in your photos and experiences making it.
- 4 Tablespoons Dairy Free Butter (Or regular unsalted butter)
- 1/4 Cup Plain/All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Soy Milk (Or Whole Milk)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons "Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken Base Stock" or any veggie stock you have.
- 1 Tablespoon Sage
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 Pack of Quorn Vegan "Chicken" Pieces
- Black Pepper and Salt to Taste
- Place a stock pot on medium heat. Melt butter and add Flour.
- Cook the flour and butter for about 4 minutes.
- Slowly add the soy milk, little by little, stirring with a whisk assuring no clumps. Wait till the mixture thickens before adding more milk. You will shock the mixture and lose the thickness in the gravy if you add it too fast.
- Once all the milk is added and the mixture begins to thicken, add the 2 Tablespoons "Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken Base Stock" to 1 cup of warm water and dissolve.
- Add the water and stock to the gravy.
- Add the sage, rosemary, Sriracha, black pepper and salt.
- Add the vegan chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil, then bring down to low heat. Let simmer for 10 minutes
- 1 Red Onion
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Medium Carrots
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 1/2 head of Broccoli
- 2 Ears of Corn
- 2 Tablespoons of Dairy Free Butter
- Melt butter. Add Red Onion and cook till translucent.
- Add Garlic, cook for two minutes.
- Add Carrots, Celery, Broccoli and Corn and cook for 8 minutes.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons of COLD dairy free butter, cubed (Or unsalted butter)
- 3/4 Cup Soy Milk (Or whole milk)
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add cubed vegan butter and mix together with a pastry blender or fork till the butter and flour looks like "meal" or until butter looks like small pebbles. Its important to use cold butter for the biscuits.
- Add Soy Milk.
- Gently knead together, keeping the dough cold, till the dough is formed in a slightly sticky ball.
- First, place the veggies in a cast iron pan. Then pour the gravy and chicken mixture on top mixing together. Leave room in the pan so the mixture doesn't over flow in the oven.
- Form two-three inch sized patties from the biscuit dough and place on top of the mixture.
- Brush soy milk or vegan butter on top of the biscuits.
- Add herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper on top of the biscuit.
- Bake at 450 Degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.